Monday, December 5, 2011

Opinion: Doctors Don't Like Diagnosing Celiac Disease.

OPINION ALERT, OPINION ALERT. Yes, this is all my opinion, no I don't have proof for any of this, and no I will not fight you about it. I would, however, like to hear your opinion on the matter- comment below!


I've had a rising suspicion that doctors don't like diagnosing celiac disease. Ever since reading Shawna's (Gluten Free Girl) story of her prolonged diagnosis experience, I've been continuously baffled by the lack of attention given to celiac disease by doctors. I mean, she practically had to beg her doctor to test her for celiac disease. Something is fishy there. I've had to ask myself: Are doctors really out for our best interest?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that ALL doctors have alternative motives- the doctor who diagnosed me in 2010 was honestly a great guy who was dedicated to helping me heal. But unfortunately, there is a scary amount of doctors out there who would rather just throw a bunch of pills at someone than go through the effort of diagnosing somebody with a disease that isn't entirely prevalent in the eyes of many a doctor. Besides, prescription drugs earn the doctor more money than a patient's gluten free diet does. As mentioned in the film "Food Matters", "One quarter of what you eat keeps you alive and three quarters of what you eat keeps your doctor alive" As long as a doctor can keep you eating gluten, you will keep needing to buy more medications to solve your problems; a better continuous money-maker for the medical field as opposed to solving the overall problem through celiac diagnosis. 

We, as consumers, have been told by corporations and our own doctors that our health problems can be solved with prescribed medication. Therefore, we are given medications for every little problem we have. Unfortunately for the medical industry, celiac disease cannot be cured by a pill; it can only be cured with food. Natural, wholesome, gluten free food. The natural grocery stores are going to be benefiting more from this than our doctors will- possibly explaining the reason why so many celiacs claim that their doctors took an obscene amount of time to even suggest running blood tests. This makes me question the ethics of the medical field. Are they really out to help us in the long run, or are they out to help themselves by milking our consumption of modern medicine for all it's worth? Do doctors even learn anything about natural remedies at medical school, or are they merely taught to give people pills?

Thoughts??


No comments:

Post a Comment