Friday, September 16, 2011

Simple Squares: Savory & Sweet in a Healthy Shape

I love me a good energy bar. I especially love it when I find a brand that makes their bars with real food ingredients. Real food... what a revelation. (sarcasm).  Larabars are great but let's face it: we could use something a little more interesting. 




Simple Squares are truly unique in that they are nut and honey squares that are flavored with vibrant herbs and spices. These tasty squares are free of wheat, gluten, dairy, soy and refined sugars, and each flavor is made with only six or seven wholesome ingredients.

Flavors:


Rosemary: organic almonds, organic cashews, organic honey, unsweetened coconut, organic vanilla, sea salt, rosemary

I must say it is extremely refreshing to have a snack bar flavored something other than "Chocolate Crunch" or "Peanut Butter Brownie". Simple Squares' rosemary flavor has a taste that I haven't experienced before: sweet honey and blended nuts with an aftertaste of rosemary. This combination is fresh, inspired, and tastes healthy without sacrificing a really yummy flavor.



Coconut: organic almonds, organic cashews, organic honey, unsweetened coconut, organic vanilla, sea salt


The coconut flavor is probably my favorite flavor (after Cinnamon which, I believe, is not yet released for sale... I feel so VIP having tried it). As much as I try to fight it, I do have a crazy sweet tooth. Looking at the ingredients in this flavor, you can see that it is basically the same recipe as the rosemary flavor except that the rosemary is left out, making coconut the standout flavor. I would recommend the coconut bars to anyone who prefers a more "safe" or simple flavor, along with those with a sweet tooth!

Sage: organic almonds, organic cashews, organic honey, unsweetened coconut, organic vanilla, sea salt, sage


This flavor is very similar to the rosemary bar in that the addition of the herb makes for a unique blend of ingredients. A unique, but very tasty blend, that is! This would be great for any lover of fresh and savory flavors.


The Verdict

Gluten Free-er's Opinion (mine): Great for sweet and savory tooths (tooths? teeth? toothers?) alike! I love that all of the ingredients in these bars are organic, wholesome, and real! No guessing games with these squares: they've got nothing to hide!

Non Gluten Free-ers Opinion (my roommate): "My favorite by far was the coconut! It's something that I would definitely purchase and buy again! The rosemary and sage were really great too, but I would go for the coconut flavor."

Two thumbs way up! 




Well, there you go! Go on and order some for yourself, won't you?




No comments:

Post a Comment