Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gluten Free Frozen Meals: A Revelation.

Seeing as I've been away at school for the past two weeks, I've been cooking a lot of meals. Probably about two or three a day, plus snacks. I enjoy cooking, but there are those times where I would much rather plop down with a ready-to-go hot meal and watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians than be slaving away in the kitchen. For most of my life (both pre-gfree and post-gfree), I've looked down at microwavable frozen dinners, thinking of them as boxes filled with sodium pumped, hormone injected, and calorie ridden "foods". While this is the fact for most frozen meals, I shouldn't have been so quick to rule off the entire clan of frozen meals.

If you're wondering where all of this is coming from, I'll tell you. I was bored the other day, so I decided to take a journey over to my nearby Whole Foods to see if I could find any new and interesting gluten free products to try out. As I was wandering down the produce aisle, I heard a grumbling plea for food sound from my empty stomach. I'd forgotten to eat lunch! I considered getting something from the store's deli, but decided against it when I saw that I would probably end up with just a salad- BORING. So I meandered over the (usually) forbidden frozen dinner section. I walked down the aisle somewhat briskly, not expecting to find anything worth buying. But then, the heavens opened, the angels sang, and I saw the words "Gluten Free", "Organic", and "Vegan" next to each other. On a microwave dinner box. YES PLEASE. So naturally, I loaded up my grocery cart with an almost embarrassing amount of frozen dinners, hoping that all of it would fit in my small freezer space. Here's what I got: 







Organic Bistro: Thai Style Yellow Curry with Chicken 
Ingredients: water, cooked chicken breast, green beans, zucchini, carrot, coconut cream, edamame, quinoa, brown rice, red bell pepper, tamari sauce, spices, green onions, sugar, salt, citric acid, curry spice blend, garlic powder, green jalapeno chile ground. (all certified organic)


280 Calories.






Amy's Tamale Verde w/ Black Beans
Non-Dairy, No Cholesterol, No Trans Fats, No Preservatives, Vegan, Gluten Free.
Ingredients: Water, organic tomatillos, organic onions, organic corn masa, organic black beans, organic brown rice, organic tomato puree, expeller pressed safflower oil, organic zucchini, organic corn, organic bell peppers, organic dried tomatoes, sea salt, evaporated cane juice, organic garlic, cilantro, spices, baking soda, jalapeno peppers, organic fire roasted poblano peppers, organic distilled vinegar, black pepper, organic balsamic vinegar.

330 Calories.





Amy's Garden Vegetable Lasagna
Ingredients: Organic tomato puree, organic rice lasagna pasta, ricotta cheese, organic onions, organic broccoli, organic zucchini, organic carrots, organic peas, organic spinach, filtered water, Parmesan cheese, spices, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, organic garlic, organic evaporated cane juice, organic basil, black pepper. 


290 Calories. 


Amy's Thai Stir Fry
Ingredients: Organic jasmine rice, coconut milk, organic onions, organic broccoli, organic tofu, organic red and yellow bell peppers, organic carrots, organic cabbage, organic yellow zucchini, organic cilantro, filtered water, organic tapioca starch, organic red jalapenos, organic garlic, organic tamari, organic toasted sesame seed oil, sea salt, organic ginger, expeller pressed high oleic safflower oil, spices, black pepper. 


310 Calories. 

Amy's Teriyaki Bowl
Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice, organic broccoli, organic tamari, organic tofu, pineapple juice, organic green beans, organic evaporated juice, mushrooms, organic carrots, water chestnuts, organic bell peppers, organic lemon juice, filtered water, organic ginger, organic sesame seed oil, organic cornstarch, organic garlic, expeller pressed safflower oil, spices, black pepper. 

290 Calories.









Reviews Coming Soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment