Monday, August 8, 2011

Quick n' Easy: Fish Tacos

Everybody loves tacos. Especially this girl right here. Give me a corn tortilla, some guacamole, beans, some sauteed veggies, and I'm a happy camper. I have a feeling that I will be making a lot of tacos this coming school year, seeing as they are so quick, easy, inexpensive, and almost always delicious! It was a Julie-makes-dinner night in my household about a week ago, so I chose to whip up some fish tacos. Anyone who really knows me knows that I actually hate fish (I know, what kind of Seattle-ite am I? I don't drink coffee either...). BUT when it comes to tacos, I feel like you can literally make anything taste good once its wrapped in a fresh corn tortilla with an obscene amount of guacamole smothered all over it. I'm also trying to eat healthier these days, and fish is pretty much on the top of everyone's "healthy foods" lists, so I'll give it a shot now and then.


Fish Tacos (note that many ingredients listed are interchangeable. Basically everything tastes good in a taco so feel free to add things like corn, fresh cilantro, salsa, etc.)

Ingredients: (Serves 2 people)
- 1/2 lb fresh or frozen cod
- a squeeze or two of lemon juice
- a dash or two of olive oil
- a couple shakes of chili powder
- a little cumin
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- corn tortillas (can be hard or soft shelled. I like soft.)
- Black or pinto beans
- Guacamole (avocado, tomato, hot sauce, cilantro, red onion, salt/pepper)
- Fresh extra ingredients of choice (tomato, corn, chopped lettuce, etc)

Step 1: Thaw the fish, if its frozen. Arrange the fish in a baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, and then pour the mixture over the fishies. Cover it and let it sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes.



Step 2: Remove the swimming fishies from the fridge and drain the liquid (carefully). Get a medium sized pan nice and hot on the stove with some olive oil in it. Cook the fish. Fish cooks really quickly- you can tell that its done when it gets flaky and white (rather than luminescent or pink).
The kitty cat wants some.

Step 3: Heat the tortillas. This can be done in a number of ways: microwave, oven, whatever. I chose to heat them in a pan over the stove in some oil. I like the slight crisp texture this gives the tortillas.

Step 4: Layer the tacos! I did it like this: tortilla, fish, guacamole, beans, tomato. Simple. Quick. Delish.




No comments:

Post a Comment